home     Projects


First concepts suggested using microwaves to heat the mineral material to cause water to evaporate.
The starting tests were using a second-hand domestic microwave oven. This quickly proved to be non-viable, and not practical.
also dangerous!

These ovens require mains-electricity and internally generate 200 volts at hundreds of milliamps. The microwaves being
generated are dngerous when not being fully enclosed in a metal shield!

There is also the non-practical requirement of mains electricity not being easily available on Mars, even in remote terrestrial
locations where the water extraction process could be utilised.

Domestic oven:

uwave oven

...now dismantled awaiting safe testing facilities.